Medical technology companies are defined, for the purpose of this map as companies that:
- Primarily design or manufacture medical technology products and/or solutions
- Have international shared services
(This definition excludes distributors and consultant organisations)
The sector is diverse and the following eight broad headings have been established to describe and categorise the sector in Ireland:
While the coordinators have made every effort to ensure that the information in this map is accurate, we do apologise for any inconsistencies. Stakeholders who wish to amend map, please contact IMDA on 01 6051529 or firstname.lastname@example.org. It is anticipated that updates will be supported on an ongoing basis and completely at the discretion of IMDA. Date of Publication December 2011. E&OE
Attached amendments file has changes identified since the start of 01/02/12
- Diagnostic; A company that primarily develops diagnostic products, solutions and /or instrumentation (in-vitro/in-vivo or other). This company develops finished products for market.
- Hospital and/or homecare products; A company that primarily produces hospital or homecare products, examples include respiratory, gastro and wound care products among others. This company develops finished products for market in a hospital or homecare setting. Note: Vascular, orthopaedic, ophthalmic and diagnostic companies may be captured in the product categories if more appropriate
- Ophthalmic; A company that primarily produces ophthalmic products. This company develops finished products for market.
- Orthopaedic; A company that primarily produces orthopaedic products. This company develops finished products for market.
- Vascular; A company that primarily produces vascular products (including cardiac, interventional and neuro). This company develops finished products for market.
- Contract research, development, design and/or manufacturing; A company that primarily defines itself as a contract manufacturing or design company. This company does not manufacture or design products for market
- Connected health; A company that primarily defines itself as a connected health company. Connected health involves use of information and communication technologies to improve healthcare quality and outcomes. It encompasses eHealth, digital health, health Informatics, telemedicine, and mHealth.
- Service; A company that primarily defines itself as a service company. This could include international shared services; international sales; medical packaging; sterilisation; validation; testing; medical software or contract research.